When Microsoft said they would release an app designed for SMBs that had outgrown their entry-level accounting software, they weren’t kidding. Dynamics 365 Business Central (D365 Business Central) is a program that makes managing back-end business processes a breeze.
The idea behind D365 Business Central was to bring the strength and practicality of Dynamics NAV to the cloud while adding integration and customization capabilities. Microsoft maintains it is a “single, end-to-end solution for managing finances, operations, sales, and customer service.” Its set of functions are provided through two plans: Essential and Premium. Here’s how they differ.
Dynamics 365 Business Central - Essential Licensing
D365 Business Central Essential covers all the core functions a business requires to operate, including:
- Financial Management - basic general ledger, general and recurring journals, chart of accounts, source codes, VAT facilities, budgets, deferrals, work flows and audit trails, bank account management, reconciliation, dimensions, basic fixed assets and currencies
- Customer Relationship Management - contacts, campaigns, opportunity management, integration with D365 for Sales
- Project Management - resources, estimates, jobs, time sheets
- Supply Chain Management - sales order management, basic receivables, purchase order management, locations, item transfers, basic warehousing
- Human Resources Management - employees and expense management
- Others - Outlook integrations, multi-language compatibility, task scheduling, Intrastat reporting
D365 Business Central Essential is best suited for small- and medium-sized businesses (SMB) with processes and departments that would benefit from being managed by a single software platform. It’s suitable to run your day-to-day operations, from managing financials to overseeing internal resources. Priced at $70 a month per user, D365 Business Central is just as useful for getting started with cloud ERP as it is for a long-term solution.
Dynamics 365 Business Central - Premium Licensing
The Premium version is an enhanced version to your standard Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution. It includes all the capabilities of the Essential plan, plus the following:
- Service Management - service orders, service price management, service item management, service contract management, planning, dispatching
- Manufacturing - production orders, basic supply planning, capacity planning, demand forecasting, version management, agile manufacturing, machine centers, finite loading
The Premium plan offers an all-inclusive business management solution geared towards SMBs with more specialized needs. While it may serve manufacturing and distribution companies best, especially with the additional features, it's useful for businesses across a broad range of industries, as long as they have the right IT support. That’s because this option allows your organization to streamline operations from one end to another. At $100 a month per user, it is still competitively priced given its full functionality.
A Few Questions to Ask Your Organization
Regardless of the plan you choose, D365 Business Central will deliver all the benefits of cloud deployment, including real-time, 24/7 access, reduced costs, and easy integration with other Microsoft apps and tools, such as Office 365, Power BI, and Dynamics 365 for Sales or Customer Service. To further help you decide which option suits your business, ask your organization these questions:
- What processes need to be managed more accurately?
- How important is scalability to your business?
- Do you need the extended capabilities of D365 Business Central now? Or perhaps in the future?
- What is your budget?
Upgrading to Dynamics 365 Business Central sure is a wise move, and choosing the right plan is as important as partnering with the right Managed Services Provider (MSP). Do your organization a favor by consulting our IT experts at WhiteOwl before signing up for either plan. We have extensive experience helping South Florida businesses streamline operations through technology.